As much as software is my friend, hardware seems to be my enemy. It has happened again, it is happening frequently. Today another piece of hardware died in my presence. It is happening very often that hardware which I am around frequently just ceases to work pretty reliably after a while. It has happened to lamps a lot in the past, now it seems to concentrate on computer internals.
Within the last year the following hardware pieces died:
- 2 RAM modules with 128 MB
- 1 motherboard
- 1 graphics adapter
- 1 external harddrive with 160 GB
- 1 internal harddrive with 40 GB
- 1 CRT screen 17"
- 1 internal laptop fan
- 2 halogen lamps
As a result I lost:
- 2 desktop computers
- about 50 GB worth of backups
- many of my photos
- many of my own musical compositions
- a significant amount of other data, including work for my exams which I had to remake from scratch within two weeks
Now all I have left is a laptop with 2 GHz, 704 MB of RAM and 30 GB of harddrive. What am I going to do about it other than earn money? I don't know. Is what I have enough for a Graphic-Design student? I think not.